Identification of near infrafred (NIR) optical sorting good practice guidelines and report.
WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme).
- Studies have shown that standards of quality and yield achieved by NIR optical sorting facilities such as Materials Recovery Facilities (MRFs) vary enormously across Europe
- There was therefore a need to study and share examples of good practice in order to improve recovery rates and quality of materials from NIR sorting facilities.
- Identified suitable operating sites that use NIR technology for detailed study
- Collected and analysed production data held by the sites
- Conducted performance testing trials at six sites across Europe
- Assessed key factors that contributed to success of sites achieving good NIR sorting performance
- Determined what constitutes good practice and wrote guidance documents for existing and potential recyclers of household plastic packaging waste
- A detailed report outlining NIR optical sorting best practice guidelines